Linklog special: Linked data & the semantic web at news:rewired
Today I've been at news:rewired in London, talking about linked data and the semantic web in a panel session with my Guardian colleague Simon Rogers, Martin Moore from the Media Standards Trust, and Silver Oliver of the BBC. Here is a linklog special of all the things I mentioned in my talk...
- guardian.co.uk: What is Information Architecture? - my attempt to explain my job to The Guardian's audience.
- Guardian Open Platform
- guardian.co.uk: What is the Open Platform - a video explaining what the API is, from lead technical architect Mat Wall.
- Open Platform Content API Explorer - a search interface onto The Guardian's content API.
- guardian.co.uk: Adding 'references' to the API
- Nodalities blog: "Linked Data" at the Guardian - my guest blog post about the project.
- Ripped Records - using MusicBrainz IDs to link Guardian reviews to their content.
- Tony Hirst's OUseful.Info blog posts about issues with Guardian Datastore formatting: "The problem with Linked Data is that things don't quite link up" & "Where Linked Data would be useful - creating more MPs' maps from the Guardian Politics API"
- guardian.co.uk: Coins Data Explorer - an interface onto the UK Government's spending database.
- guardian.co.uk: Coins Data Explorer manual - blog post with instructions on how to use the Coins Data Explorer including some scary lines like 'and we can add a JSONP callback' etc etc...
- "What open Government data gives us with one hand, closed state data takes away with another" - my blogpost about the COINS database and Companies House.
- guardian.co.uk: World Government Data store - an interface into a collection of civic and state datasets from the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and US.
- guardian.co.uk: The IA behind the World Government Datastore - my blog post about the development process of the World Government Datastore tool.
- Data.gov.uk and legislation.gov.uk are two UK Government websites publishing in Linked Data formats
- Guardian Developer blog - a new blog from the Guardian & Observer tech team.
- Nodalities blog from Talis.
- @currybet - follow me on Twitter.
I used two Creative Commons licenced photographs from Flickr during the talk:
- Topeka Capital Journal printing press by Marion Doss
- Story telling at the South End Branch by Boston Public Library - shown below.
You can also view my slides from the day: